Sistine Madonna The painting that is prominent high above the altar is a copy of a famous painting entitled the Sistine Madonna by the artist Raphael.
Old church building St. Mary's Parish was officially founded in 1863 and serviced with monthly Mass by a priest from Ottawa, Illinois. The first resident pastor Fr. Francis A. Keenan came in November 1864. The first church building made of wood and was completed in 1865, with wings added in 1872. It was located at the northwest corner of Third and Central Streets where the parish hall sits now.
Archbishop Fulton Sheen On May 8, 1895, Peter John Sheen was born in the upstairs of a now-demolished hardware store at 25 West Front Street,El Paso. Shortly after that he was baptized in the wooden parish church. While he was a young boy, his family moved to Peoria where his formal schooling commenced. As an adult, he would change his name to Fulton John Sheen, Fulton being his mother's maiden name. He studied and rose in prominence in the Catholic Church to become Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. For decades he hosted nationwide radio and television programs which were extremely popular. Archbishop Sheen died December 9, 1979. The cause for his canonization as a saint was opened in 2002 and he is presently titled Servant of God Fulton J. Sheen.
Brick church building then Fr. Jeremiah Quinlan was pastor from 1894 to 1918. The present brick church building was almost finished and was used for Mass at Christmas 1898.
Brick church building now The official dedication of the church was on May 21, 1899. The present brick rectory was completed in 1914.
 
Parish hall The present parish hall was completed in December 1999 during Fr. Lawrence Morrissey's years as pastor.
 

The following is a list of our pastors and their tenure:

1863 to 1864

Fr. Patrick Toner

1864 to 1873

Fr. Francis A. Keenan

1873 to 1874

Fr. Joseph Costa

1874 to 1880

Fr. Thomas S. Keating

1880 to 1883

Fr. Henry A. O’Kelly

1883 to 1885

Fr. Michael J. Byrne

1885 to 1888

Fr. Charles Francis X. O’Neill

1888 to 1891

Fr. Lawrence J. Dunne

1891 to 1891

Fr. Martin R. Walsh

1891 to 1894

Fr. Martin Kelly

1894 to 1918

Fr. Jeremiah H. Quinlan

1918 to 1926

Fr. Thomas J. McKinnery

1926 to 1927

Fr. William Drummy

1927 to 1940

Fr. Sylvester E. Aout

1940 to 1941

Fr. Arthur J. Sullivan, O.M.I.

1941 to 1950

Fr. James A. Dollard

October 12, 1950 to June 1973

Fr. James J. Kerrins

June 1973 to June 1991

Fr. John Fidelis O’Connor

June 1991 to June 1995

Fr. Eugene Kane

June 1995 to June 2001

Fr. Lawrence Morrissey

June 2001 to June 2002

Fr. Donald Henderson

June 2002 to August 2003

Fr. Daniel Wilder

August 2003 to August 2013

Fr. Roger Corpus OSB

August 2013 to the 2016 Fr. Donald Roszkowski
June 2016 to present Fr . John Steffen

Copyright 2017